Wednesday, February 23, 2011

SAPFM: New Regional Chapter

The Society of American Period Furniture Makers is opening a new chapter which includes Maryland, southern Pennsylvania, Delaware, Washington D.C., northern Virginia, and West Virginia.

The first meeting is scheduled for Saturday, April 9, from 10:00-4:00 in Rockville, Maryland and features a demonstration called "Carving the Cabriole Leg for a Low Bedstead by Kaare Loftheim." Kaare Loftheim is the Journeyman Cabinetmaker in the Hays Cabinetmaking Shop at Colonial Williamsburg.

The price is only $20 and includes lunch. Membership to SAPFM is not required, but is encouraged.

Reservations are needed by March 1.  If you would like to attend, email Bert Bleckwenn at bableck@gmail.com as soon as possible.

Bert can give you directions to the meeting along with more information about the organizaton or you can shoot me an email and I'll forward the pdf files about the event to you: goodwoodworkshop@comcast.net.

7 comments:

Shannon said...

I'm so excited about this new chapter! I have been a SAPFM member for almost 3 years now and there has never been a chapter meeting of the local chapter. The formation of this new one is a great step forward and if the lineup of events for the first meeting is any indication, it will be an excellent group. I'll be there on April 9th (fresh from the Brown Tool Auction the previous weekend)

Kari Hultman said...

I will see you at both events, Shannon. I'm very excited about this new chapter, too!

Tom Dugan said...

See ya there.

But before that ... PATINA!

March 19th. Doors open at 9:00AM, but the parking lot action starts as soon as the second person gets there, typically before 6:00.

Mark Maleski said...

Another SAPFM member checking in. Was smart of Bert to snag Kaare...probably not a coincidence they were both at the Jan PATINA meeting. Those of us in NoVA are lucky enough to straddle the regions covered by 2 chapters now. Since the VA chapter is meeting the weekend prior, I'll have SAPFM meetings in consecutive weekends (assuming the spouse will let me get away with it).

Kari Hultman said...

Tom, I'll see you at PATINA, as well...but not for the 6:00 a.m. deals. Too early for me!

Mark, lucky you! I grew up in NoVA. Thinking maybe I should have stayed. Heh.

Bert Bleckwenn said...

Thanks Kari for posting the SAPFM notice on your Blog.... Picked up at least one new attendee that I didn't reach through all the other solicitations. We're up to 31 attendees with at least another 6 likely possibilities, so we should have a great turnout.

Kari Hultman said...

My pleasure, Bert. I'm really looking forward to the meeting. :o)